Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Waiting




The beginning of Ori's last cycle of intensive chemotherapy has been delayed about a month.  Although we've enjoyed the weeks of a higher immunity for him (getting out to see friends and visiting parks), we are anxious to begin this last cycle.  Once we begin we are closer to being done!  

We have been doing in-patient intensive chemotherapy for a year and a half, and we are ready to be done. I should say that Justin and I are ready to be done...Ori LOVES the hospital, and I think he'll be a bit sad when the last stay is done.  I am looking forward to being able to plan our lives more than a week in advance.  And I am really tired of always having a mostly packed suitcase at the ready.  

Once we are done with this last six week cycle (although it will most likely take at least eight weeks if not more), we begin the last (hopefully) year of treatment.  This year will be similar to the last three years of treatment that Ori did before the relapse.  Most of the chemo will be taken at home with the exception of a few doses that will be given at the clinic.  We'll still have weekly appointments at the clinic, but they should be relatively short.  

The best part about the upcoming final year of treatment is that Ori's immunity will remain consistently higher.  We'll be able to get out and do things again!  And once we start, we will know the exact date when Ori will be done.  It is exactly 52 weeks.  No delays.  No waiting.  We will stop on that date.  

For now we wait.  But after a year and a half (well five years really), we can wait just a little bit longer to get to the end and cross this huge finish line. 


1 comment:

Zach Stahlecker said...

We are looking forward to hearing you guys are in Maintenance. I'm sure you are all exhausted and ready.