Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Back in the Hospital (unexpectedly)

During Ori's treatment, the one thing we want to avoid is fevers.  Combined with a low white blood cell count, they result in immediate hospitalizations.

The one thing that Ori's newest chemo treatment, Cytarabine, causes is a rock-bottom low white blood cell count.  Ori's ANC # (representing white blood cells, among other things) is as low as it can go: it's literally 0.

And the Neupogen medicine he takes daily (via shots in the leg each morning at home) that stimulates white blood cell production, the one thing that it can cause... fevers!

It's a viscous cycle.  Poor guy - he's such a resilient patient!

And for the next 2 nights (or longer) he'll be a patient back in the hospital, the victim of simultaneous fever and a low ANC #.

On top of everything else, I (Justin) have been sick the past 3 days, so Kaye has been juggling everything while I've been trying to stay at a distance (to not get Ori sick).  And now she's made her 3rd trip to the hospital/clinic with Ori in the past day and a half, where she'll stay for 2+ nights because I'm still under the weather.

She's amazing!

So is Ori... he was sad to have to go, but he doesn't fight it - he knows he must.

Love that little guy!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Please let Ori and Andon know I miss them and pray for them every night! I cannot wait to visit you all soon!

April WW said...

Hope you feel better soon WB! Kaye IS amazing! And so are you. Please tell the boys Aunt April sends love and hugs. xoxo

Zach Stahlecker said...

Sorry to hear Ori is back at the hospital and that you have to deal with being sick as well. It sounds like Ori is dealing with it all so well...he really is a trooper.